Tuesday, April 04, 2006



Tom McNamee and I are pictured in front of a five-story seniors building at 2501-11 W. Division St. It was developed by the Hispanic Housing Development Corp. to serve low- and moderate-income residents of West Town and Humboldt Park. In the 1940's, my family's grocery store, and the apartment building that housed our three-room flat, stood on this very same site.(Story due in the Chicago Sun-Times, Monday, April 10, 2006.)

Division Street is being revitalized and I think my folks would be pleased to see how this new group of immigrants are enjoying the gateway to the American dream -- just as they and their families did so many decades ago.

The highpoint of the tour was a walk through my grandparents' apartment at 2653 W. Division St. My zadie's fish store is now a hip-hop barber shop and the apartment above the store is being renovated with new stained wood floors and a brick fireplace. The bay windows remain and I recall standing at those windows staring out at my Division Street landscape. Our last Passover meal on Division Street was in this very apartment. You can read details of that evening in my book.

No comments: